Wednesday, May 11, 2011

Our eyes are open all day long. But what do we actually see? I believe we only see around 10 or 20% of what's actually in front of us. No wonder accidents happen all the time -- carelessness, sure, but I think it's mostly because we just don't take the time to truly see the things that are in front of us. And I don't even mean tiny details. Big things! I was waiting at the bus stop the other day and noticed how much my mind was wandering. When I noticed that, I felt so inward. I consciously shifted my awareness outside of myself and automatically was blown away by how much MORE I saw in front of me. Sure, I saw stuff when all I was doing was thinking, but not in the same way. It was hazy and borderless, unlike when I payed attention to the total picture that stood before me. I'm sitting on a bench! Cyclists are going b y, someone dropped a cigarette butt, there are kids running around and people who are impatiently waiting beside me. All you have to do is ask yourself what you were just surrounded by and you'll notice that you can't really describe it. Why don't we pay more attention? Perhaps paying more attention would lead to greater awareness of ourselves through our surroundings?

Just a thought.

No comments:

Post a Comment